Friday, April 21, 2006

Gator International

Today set the record for the earliest I've had to get up for an IFS flight. I was out the door at 0530. We started off heading for Monroeville, but about 20 miles up the road Rocky diverted us to a little grass strip north of Mobile he refers to as "Gator International" because there are (I'm totally serious) alligator-infested ponds on either side of the runway at one end. I didn't see any alligators today, but there are many signs all around both ponds warning of the reptiles. Makes you really pay attention when you're turning the airplane around that you don't go off the runway.

The flight went very well. After we diverted, Rocky had me put on the hood and practice navigating on instruments, which I did just fine. I'm getting a lot more comfortable with the increased workload of cross-country flying. It's really a lot of fun, and obviously the most important skill in piloting. After all, what use is the airplane if you can't take it anywhere?

This flight was the solo cr0ss-country checkride, to sign me off for what would be a solo cross country flight on Monday except that Rocky will be a "ghost" reading a book in the right seat. Since I have some extra time available to complete my last flight, I was authorized to go somewhere besides Monroeville! Rocky suggested New Orleans Lakefront airport. It's just over 100 nm from Mobile, so we should be able to get there and back in two hours of flight time. So looks like Monday morning we're off to the Big Easy. I'm really excited to sink my teeth into a more complex flight and do some real navigation. Besides, I've never been to New Orleans, so it'll good to see something new.

No comments: