Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Crosswinds

I think that's the only word for today.

For once, the forecast was right- winds this morning were ESE at 12-15 kts. With a runway heading due south, that makes for some tough flying in a 172. But, to make it worse, I let it get into my head, leaving me somewhat "distracted" for my pre-solo checkride today. I flew within standards, but I just wasn't right on like I was yesterday afternoon.

Instead of doing our bounces at Mobile, we went back out to St. Elmo, where instead of wind at 60 degrees to the runway, it was more like 70 or 80, with a smaller runway to aim for, too. I was consistently high and fast on landing approaches, and I didn't move my feet enough on the rudder to satisfy Rocky. My pitch changes were much too abrupt, and my ground handling on rollouts apparently left a bit to be desired.

But, after getting my butt kicked for 1.2 hours and 5 landings, Rocky signed me off to solo. I'm on the schedule for tomorrow. As long as the winds are more agreeable, I'll be fine.

In spite of it all, I'm glad for the experience. I may not be able to land in a crosswind as well as my 22,000-hour instructor, but I put the plane down within 10 feet of centerline, upwind wheel first, fairly consistently. It wasn't always pretty, but I wasn't anywhere close to damaging the plane, either. And for a crosswind component of over 10 knots, when the plane's maximum demonstrated crosswind component is 15, I think that's doing okay for someone with 13 hours in type.

I just need some more practice. In a place with as much wind as Mobile, I'm sure I'll get it.

No comments: