Monday, February 01, 2010

The Day I Went Pro

I didn't become a professional pilot the first time I got paid to fly. It wasn't even when I got my shiny gold wings.

It was a sunny September morning at NAS Whiting Field in Milton, Florida. I had just passed my instrument checkride in a TH-57C helicopter, the Navy's orange-and-white version of the ubiquitous Bell Jet Ranger. My coveted "wings of gold" were basically in the bag, and in less than two weeks I'd officially have the right to wear them on my uniform. I'd been going through intensive flight training for a year and a half, and today I was getting the keys to my own turbine-powered helicopter for a few hours.

Even though the weather was beautiful, I filed an IFR flight plan to New Orleans Lakefront Airport. The FBO there would let us take a car (Jaguar!) out to lunch while our helicopter was refueled for the trip home.

In the other pilot's seat there would be no instructor. Instead, I had a "winger," a recently-graduated student awaiting transfer, to tune the radios and act as a safety observer.

IFR clearance copied, radios and navaids tuned. Cleared for takeoff. Hover-taxi, five feet in the air, across the yellow hold-short lines, and swing the tail around, nose into the wind. We skidded slightly sideways to the right to catch the centerline. It was against the rules to slide through a turn like that. I didn't care. It was just a little bit, and I was in charge today. No instructor around to complain about it. We were off to New Orleans! Cajun food and a Jaguar were waiting for me!

I can't remember any of the small talk I had with my winger copilot that day. But what he said as I slopped onto the runway was like a sledgehammer to the head of my pilot-ego.

"Dude, don't slide."

It bothered me all the way to New Orleans. It wasn't even a graded flight, and I felt like I'd blown it. The rest of the mission went perfectly, food and sporty luxury car included. Even so, nothing I could do would remove the stain of my carelessness from my memory.

Finally, on the way home, I understood the problem. It wasn't wrong because I'd done badly, but because I could have done better. I'd violated one of the most basic rules of flying: Instead of flying the aircraft, I'd let the aircraft fly me.

I got sloppy because I didn't think anyone would notice. I realized my own knowing I'd flown well was more important than an instructor saying so on a grade card.

I became a professional pilot when I stopped flying for the guy next to me and started flying for myself.

4 comments:

DCA 0511 said...

Excellent article. I remember the same thing happening to me. In my case no one was there to correct me but I realized I was getting sloppy in how I flew because "I was a professional and had the certificates". I realized if I wanted to stay alive and live up to being a professional pilot I needed to shape up.

DCA0511

George said...

I was thinking as I read your story, my instructor didn't teach me to stay on the centerline because it was so important, but because it is more of a statement of your commitment to do things properly. Along the same lines, he asked me if it was easier to taxi one foot to the left or right of the centerline. I got it. It does matter for reasons that aviators understand. George DCA888

Dave said...

Thanks, gentlemen. Glad I'm not the only one! I guess the idea of finding your own internal motivation is probably not unique to just flying, either. I guess it's really just universal to being a grown-up. One day you realize you've just got to do things right, and nobody else is going to do it for you.

Anonymous said...

Excellent observations Dave!... ANd it applies to a lot more than flying...:)

keep it up....

Vati