Monday, October 02, 2006

Double Time

As advertised, my operational tempo has been stepped up. Today I had not one but TWO simulator flights. The first one went extremely well. My altitude control was dead on for my constant-angle-of-bank turns. The instructor said he never saw deviation of more than +/- 25 feet, if that much. The course standards are 100 feet, so that was good enough to earn me my first "5" in my flight training career. A "5" is the highest score possible, and is reserved for performance clearly exceeding course standards. The rest of my grades on that flight were all 4s. I was having a good morning. The second flight, after lunch, wasn't as good. I got an even split of 3s and 4s. I guess I'm just not as sharp the second time around.

The "simulators" I'm flying aren't what you'd probably picture as a flight simulator. It's a T-34C cockpit mounted on hydraulic rams to provide some sensation of motion, but there is no outside visual reference. I perform all of the maneuvers on instruments alone. So far, though, I'm doing better with my basic airwork on instruments than I was in the actual airplane with a distinct horizon and a million miles' visibility. Go figure.

I'm scheduled for two more sims tomorrow. At least I don't start until 9:30. That'll get me almost three more hours of sleep than I got last night. If I get two more sims on Wednesday, I'll be done with sims and back to the airplane by the end of the week. Even if I only get one a day, I could still be back in the plane by Friday.

Two events a day is exhausting, but it's really nice to be bashing through the syllabus quickly. It may be hard for someone not familiar with flying to understand how a couple of "flights" in the instrument simulator can wipe you out like a full day's work, but I can't readily think of anything else that demands so much focus and multi-tasking as flying a plane on instruments. It's tough sometimes, but it's not lost on me what an amazing opportunity I've got here. This place really is the Julliard of aviation. Life is good!

No comments: