Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Longest Day

Ground school is still going swimmingly. I had my second test today and only missed one question. I'm still right on track for the commodore's academic award. I've also been doing Cockpit Procedures Trainers (CPTs) this week. Today was the first one with in-flight emergencies. Even when I know it's not real, there's still something unnerving about seeing that big, red "FIRE" light flashing at the top of the panel.

I'm finding out that it's one thing to be able to remember an emergency procedure from a flashcard while you're sitting on your couch, and a different thing entirely to do it while you're sitting in a mock cockpit with red lights flashing and your altimeter unwinding before your eyes. I imagine it's more difficult still to do it in an actual airplane, which is why I'm grateful for the training I'm getting now, even if it is kind of tricky.

The hardest part so far is just the schedule. Tuesday, the day after a lovely three-day weekend, I eased back into this stuff with a 13-hour day, starting with an exam at 6 in the morning and ending up with a CPT at 4 in the afternoon. I got home at 6:30, had dinner, watched a movie with my wife, and collapsed into bed at 9. Yesterday wasn't so bad- another early morning, but I was home by about 5. Today was actually quite civilized, and tomorrow will be fine, too.

But having a different schedule every day is difficult for the human body, which likes to find equilibrium and predictability in sleeping and eating patterns. I guess it's all part of the program to get us acclimated to the demands of operational aviation. My mind truly enjoys the variety of doing things a little differently each day, but it's just hard for my body to keep up sometimes. When the body shuts down, the brain might as well go offline for a few hours, too. Speaking of which.....*yawns* .....

No comments: