Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Extra Mile

Well, API goes on. I can't believe I've only got 3 exams and 7 days of classes left. Seems like I just started this business...

Today was also the final installment of our Water Survival series: a mile swim in a flight suit. It turned out to be a lot easier than I expected. After carb-loading with massive amounts of pasta last night and a healthy oatmeal breakfast this morning, I finished the mile in 50 minutes with energy to spare.

Tomorrow is a great day: Flight Gear Issue. I'll be getting flight suits, a helmet, gloves, a leather jacket (if they've got 'em... no big deal if I get an IOU since it's currently about 95 degrees out every day) and all sorts of other cool Navy pilot stuff. If everyone has them ready this weekend, the class can start wearing our flight suits on Monday. After this week, I probably won't wear khakis to work on a regular basis for about 4 years.

Sure is nice to be in our own apartment. The furnishings are rather sparse: We got some folding camp chairs and set up the tent in the living room, going for a sort of "camping" motif until the Navy decides to ship the rest of our furniture down from New York.

No comments: